In class we discussed a number of datasets, such as
- Mechanical Turk
- Surveillance corpuses
Either choose one of these, or another dataset that you can find. For the purposes of this homework, the dataset should already exist, be publicly available/accessible, and have a means of accessing the data (e.g. an API). If you have worked with a particular dataset before, choose a different one.
In next week's class, each student will briefly (~5-10 mins) present their dataset, addressing the following:
- what made you choose it?
- assess its artistic possibilities
- what does the dataset mean/stand for/signify, politically/socially/conceptually?
- what is unique about the dataset that you chose?
- what presentational scenarios does it make you imagine?
- How do you access your dataset?
Additionally, please read my "Art, Surveillance and Metadata"
Next week we will begin looking at Databases. In preparation for this, try to install MySQL on your computer:
You should use the free community server version.