For your midterm project you should turn in (1) your completed piece including the rendered audio file (ca. 2-to-3-minutes in duration) and (2) the reaper session file (see #4, below), (3) a screen shot of the complete session, (4) the unprocessed audio files used in the piece, (5) a graphic representation of your piece (see #5, below)
You should use the freely available Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) known as Reaper to complete this assignment (Reaper website).
Instructions / video tutorials for using the software can be found here.
You should watch videos 1-3, 6, 8, 10, 12.
You can refer to successful projects by former students on the Files page.
1. Students must use at least 15 different samples. The unprocessed samples must be included with the project. Samples may be found at https://www.freesound.org. Additionally, you may record your own samples.
Quality guidelines for samples from freesound.org:
samplerate: at least 44100
bitdepth: at least 16
2. Projects should use some basic editing techniques esp. panning, pitch shift, fade in/out, time-stretching, but should refrain from using many effects, filters etc.
3. Projects should use at least 6 tracks
4. Include your reaper session file. The session title must include your name, the title of your piece, and the course number (Music 325). In addition to the session file, you should include a screenshot of the complete session (like the one given below).
5. Draw a visual timeline of your project (like the one below). Include a timeline in min/sec. In addition to the graphic representation you will need to label your sounds (e.g., train engine, whistle, dog barking, etc.)